Can I apply to a Japanese company from overseas?

Can people who are currently living abroad apply for jobs in Japan?

Many people living overseas are asking about changing jobs at Japanese companies while they are learning Japanese.

Unfortunately, Japanese companies will only hire people who are currently living in Japan.

In this article, we will explain why Japanese companies do not hire overseas residents, and how to apply to Japanese companies from overseas.

Why do I need to stay in Japan?


The reason why Japanese companies do not accept applications from overseas is because they are not sure if they can really come to Japan even if they receive a job offer.

The biggest problem is the uncertainty of getting a visa.

If a visa is not obtained after interviews and a job offer, it is a waste of time for both parties.

The conditions for obtaining a visa 技術・人文知識・国際業務 that many foreigners have as follows


Graduated from a university related to the job you want to get.

If you have not graduated from a university, you must have at least 10 years of work experience in the job.


In other words, in your home country, you must have graduated from a university to receive a visa.

You must not just graduate from a college or university, but you must also have graduated from a college or university that is related to your work.

For example, if you want to work as a IT engineer in Japan, you need to study IT at university.

If you majored in a completely different field of study than IT at your university, you may not be able to get your visa application approved.

In addition to visa problems, there is also the worry that you will not be able to come to Japan or that your flight will be cancelled in time for your start date.

When a new employee joins a company, it is necessary for them to prepare a variety of employment documents in advance, such as an employment contract.

In addition to paper work, there is also visa application and new work to be done when a foreign employee is to be hired.

Even for Japanese nationals, the process of dealing with the entry documents is very difficult and time-consuming.

Whenever there is a deficiency, it is necessary to contact the applicant by telephone or e-mail to correct it, or to send the documents by postal mail.

If necessary, new employees will go directly to the company even before you join the company.

In the case of foreign nationals residing abroad, the process of completing employment documents can be even more complicated.

Since all the entry documents are written in Japanese, it takes time to fill them out.

In addition, because of the time difference, there is a lag in telephone calls and e-mails, and it is not possible to send employment documents by mail since the company is located in Japan.

No matter how excellent the foreigner may be, will the general affairs office of the company conduct interviews for people who are not 100% sure they can enter the country, and will it be necessary for them to go through the tedious and time-consuming process of preparing entry documents for new employees?

Normally, they don’t do this.

Even foreigners living in Japan have a hard time communicating with foreign employees when they join a company, so when it comes to foreigners living abroad communicating with foreign employees, the company cannot support them.

Some job can be applied from oversea


In fact, some companies accept applications from overseas.

For example, a foreign-affiliated company, or a Japanese company with branches overseas.

There are also other types of work available, such as



Online lessons

Outsourcing work


However, if you want to get a job from a Japanese company, you will need to have a high level of Japanese, such as N2 or above.

This is because communication with Japanese companies is basically in Japanese.

If you want to work in Japan, you must first come to Japan.

You don’t need a work visa.

Instead of coming to Japan on a short stay visa, such as a tourist visa, and looking for a job, or you should first attend a Japanese language school on a student visa.

Please search for a job while learning Japanese.

Even if a student is on a student visa, the company that employs the foreigner will obtain a work visa for you.

Foreigners with an N3 level and have a student visa are much more likely to be hired than foreigners who live abroad and have excellent qualifications.

How to Apply to Japanese Companies from Overseas


Here are some tips on how you can apply for a job at a Japanese company even if you are currently living abroad.

There are also agents in your country who introduce Japanese companies to job seekers in Japan.

Please inquire with your country’s job change agent.

The agent has a human resources contract with a Japanese company, so if the applicant’s Japanese language ability and skills are high, he or she can receive a job offer while living overseas.

For example, let’s say you are a Filipino.

The agent in your country is of course a Filipino, so all support for your new job is provided in your native language.

Resumes in English and other languages are also acceptable.

Rather than contacting recruitment agents in Japan, you should first consult with an agent in your home country.

フェイスブックアイコン ツイッターアイコン